Thursday, June 01, 2006

Satsang SMT. PARVATIBAI SAPATNEKAR

Next morning while I was narrating the dream to my mother-in-law,
Baba (my father-in-law) overheard it. He came in and inquired in
detail about the dream. He suspected therein some divine purpose.
He said to my husband, "Your wife had a great desire to visit Shirdi
and this dream may be on account of the same. So you go to Shirdi
again taking her with you. My husband was annoyed and replied,
"Why do you listen to her. The idea was in her mind all the time
and hence its appearance in the dream. I don't wand to get insulted
again," But my father-in-law quietened him and advised him to take
along his elder brother's wife also (who had only daughters and no
sons till then).

So accordingly we went to Shirdi, Shri Sai Baba was then returning
from Lendi Baug. On seeing him I was stunned.He was the same
fakir seen by me in the dream. Then looking at me He, holding His
abdomen started yelling, "Oh Mother dear! How much my
abdomen is paining and waist is aching too." I was baffled and
wanted to know what was wrong with Baba. But the devotees
nearby told me that Baba acted like this whenever His devotee
was suffering and the devotee was cured. I however could not
help laughing and enjoying the perfect acting of Baba. At that
time I failed to understand but after 2-3 months when the pain in
my abodmen and waist disappeared on its own, I realised that the
above acting was for my sake only and my heart was full of
gratitude and love towards Baba.

Later in the day after Baba had settled down in the Musjid, we
went to see Him with flowers and other offerings. As per custom
in those days my husband moved ahead and I followed him. The
moment my husband went near Baba, He greeted him as in the
past shouting, "Chal hat". But when my turn came, He quietly
allowed me to place my head on His feet. I was overjoyed and
forgot myself. Baba took handful of Udi, dubbed it on my head
and said, "Take. One, two, three, four. How many you want?"

My husband was very unhappy. Everybody else was enjoying
Baba's blessings but not he - for him it was only "Chal hat",
He started thinking and suddenly he felt that it may be the result
of his earlier doubt and wrong notion about Baba, So he decided
not to leave Shirdi unless and until he received Baba's blessings
and lo in a few days he got the opportunity. He once saw Baba
sitting alone in the Masjid. Immediately he ran and held Baba's
feet firmly all the while tears rolling out of his eyes. Baba placed
His hand on his head and made him sit next to Him. Meantime a
shepherdess arrived and started rubbing Baba's feet as usual.
Baba also started conversing with her and my husband was
surprised to hear the contents. It was all about his own story.
Baba was saying, "This gentleman says I have killed his son. Do
I kill other people's sons ? Alright, now I shall bring a son in his
wife's womb". My husband was full of joy and after bowing down
to Baba again and again, hurried to the place we were staying.

On meeting us he narrated the incident to us and asked me to
get ready for the Arati (waving of lights) quickly. He also asked
me to prepare 'Puran-poli' (sweet chapaties) as naivedya, but the
priest told us to prepare halwa. After the Arati all the naivedya
(prasad) thalies were placed before Baba. Our thali was quite
in rear of others, but to our great satisfaction Baba bent forward,
and picked and ate handful of halwa from our thali only.

Next day was Thursday and we waited to see the Chavadi
procession. ('Chhabina' was the word used by Smt. Sapatnekar).
How beautiful it was Devotees were walking ahead, dancing and
singing 'Bhajans' to the tune of cymbals and drums. Baba was
following. Chhatra (decorated umbrella), Chamar (Chowrie or
fly-whisker) and a palanquin. But Baba never sat in the palanquin.
If devotees lifted Him and put Him inside, Baba disappeared and
was seen walking at the back again. Baba Himself also used to
dance. Once this foot forward and then the other - like an expert.
What a pretty sight! I still can visualise it. And lo! On Baba's face
I actually saw the same shine on on Pandurang's face at Pandharpur.

Next day we were leaving Shirdi. While going to see Shri Sai Baba,
my husband said to me, ''I shall offer one rupee as dakshina to Baba.
If asked again I shall give one more rupee. But if He asks for more I
shall have to sell my gold ring and your bangles also". To our great
surprise, when my husband placed one rupee on Baba's hand. He
asked for one more only and said, "I shall not ask for more since you
will have to sell your ring and wife's bangles." Hearing this my
husband's doubts about Baba still lurking in his mind were cleared
and he was convinced about Baba's divinity.

(to be contd....)
Lt Col. M. B. Nimbalkar (Retd)
Pune
PUNE411 001.


___________________

No comments: