Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Satsang Baba's Omniscience

Satsang Baba's Omniscience

Baba's Omniscience
By Sri Narasimha Swamiji
Baba once assured His devotees - "My eye is ever on those who love Me," and,
"whatever you do, wherever you may be, ever bear this in mind that I am
always aware of everything". What a great solace and a source of confidence
to His devotees, and yet what an effective check on their evil propensities!
Baba more than sufficiently proved, time and again, the literal truth of His
statement.

In December 1915, one Balaram Mankar went to the house of his friend, Mr.
Tarkhad, a devotee of Baba, and told him that he was going to Shirdi and
asked the members whether they had any message for Baba. Mrs. Tarkhad, who
was very much devoted to Baba wanted to send him some gift. She searched the
whole house for some token of her devotion, but found nothing but a piece of
milk-cake (pedha), which was already offered to Sai Baba's picture in the
shrine. Such a thing is generally considered unworthy of being offered a
second time. But not having anything else in her possession, she hoped that
Baba would care more for the spirit of love with which she was sending it
than for the thing sent. What is more, Balaram was in the period of mourning
consequent on the death of his father and such a one is usually considered
impure and unfit to take such a holy gift. But the lady hoped that Baba
would even overlook this hurdle in view of her pure faith in him.

Balaram took the pedha with him to Shirdi, but in his hurry to see Sai Baba,
forgot to take it to Him. He took Baba's darshan with his own offerings.
Baba knew of the story of the pedha but waited for Balaram to recollect it
of his own accord. However, when Balaram visited Baba in the afternoon, he
again forgot to take the pedha with him. Baba threw a hint to him by asking,
"What did you bring for me from Bandra?" "Nothing", said Balaram, for he
remembered nothing of it. Baba repeated His question again a little later,
but got no better reply. At last finding Balaram hopelessly short of memory,
Baba said: "Did not the mother Tarkhad give you some sweetmeat for Me at the
time of your departure?" The young man remembered the whole thing, felt
ashamed of his negligence, begged Baba's pardon, ran to his lodging and
brought the pedha.. Baba eagerly received it and ate it at once. All the
love and devotion of the lady were fully reciprocated by Baba.

There is M.W Pradhan's account of Baba's omniscience in his own words:
"While starting (i.e. on his visit to Shirdi I had provided myself with
three or four gold sovereigns ('guineas', as they were called) and some
currency notes. I got a note changed so that I might be able to give silver
rupees when Baba asks for dakshina. I had twenty rupees in cash and the rest
in notes. There, at the moment of our arrival, Baba was standing at the
Lendi, as though He was waiting for us. So we at once got down and bowed to
Him....I took all the flowers, garlands and fruits to the Masjid to garland
Baba and gave Him all the presents. When I looked quietly into His face and
eyes, I felt confirmed that Baba is really a great saint and said within
myself, ‘Thank God, I have come’...Baba asked me for dakshina. Instead of
giving Him silver coins as I had intended at Kalyan, I gave Him gold. I put
a sovereign in His hand. Baba received it, turned it in His
palm.........thrice and asked “Noolkar, 'What is this? What is its worth?'
And he (i.e. Noolkar) replied, 'It is worth fifteen rupees'. Then Baba
returned the coin to me saying, "I do not want this. Keep it and give me
fifteen rupees'. I then gave Baba fifteen silver rupees. Then Baba took the
fifteen, counted them over and over and professed to find only ten rupees in
what I gave Him and said, 'Here is only Rs. 10/-. Give Me Rs. 5/ - more!' I
meekly accepted Baba's declaration and gladly gave Him the other Rs. 5/- in
my pocket. Baba was obviously aware that the Rs. 20/- in my pocket was
intended for Him and expressly got it paid to Him; and under cover of wrong
calculation was carrying out my intention to place that sum at his feet.
After I gave Him Rs. 20/- on that occasion, He did not ask for more though I
had a lot more in notes with me."

http://www.saileelas.org/magazines/saipadananda/jan2002.htm#BabasOmniscience

No comments: