Monday, October 08, 2007

Satsang Shyamdas and Daxina

Satsang Shyamdas and Daxina

While on the pilgrimage to Dwarka, Shyamdas was reading Atwala’s Dnyaneshwari. His purse along with the tickets had fallen into the sea. That day he couldn’t concentrate on the chapter and read it rather mechanically. It was then that he took a negative decision. “I will not read any scripture till Baba tells me to.” After his trip, he came to Shirdi. At that time, Baba did not ask for daxina, nor did he give any. The subject of reading any religious books did not arise and he returned home. He wrote letters to Baba on Ekadashi, and received a reply. Thus, 2-3 years passed. Once, Chidambar Keshav Gadgil read out Shyamdas’ letter to Baba. Baba said, “Call him here. Ask him to come quickly.”

Shyamdas went to Shirdi within 4-5 days of receiving the reply. Baba asked him daily for Rs.11/-, which he readily gave for ten days. Everyday, he would go to Dwarkamai at about 3:30 in the afternoon and only at that time would Baba ask for dakshina. On the eleventh day, as usual, Baba asked for dakshina. Shyamdas had no money left. “Baba, I’ve no money left to give dakshina. You tell me, where am I to get the money from. In lieu, I offer my ten Indryas and mind”, to which Baba replied, “They are mine already. Who are you to give them? Go to Bapusaheb Butti and borrow Rs.11/- and give them to Me.” Upon hearing this, Shyamdas got up to go and get the money. Hardly had he reached the gate of the Sabha Mandap, when Baba called out to him, “Arre Shyam, come here; bring the eleven rupees later. But bring them from Bapusaheb Jog. Now be seated.” After taking Udi and Prasad and left for the Wada and clean forgot about the eleven rupees. At 3:30 , he went for darshan, but Baba did not ask for the eleven rupees. In the evening, He said, “Go to Bapusaheb Jog and ask him for eleven rupees and bring him along with you.”

Shyamdas went to the Wada and found Jog reading the Eknath Bhagwad to a few devotees. He told Jog what Baba had said. Both of them went to the Masjid. Baba was getting ready to go out. Upon seeing them, He blessed them, but did not ask for dakshina. Later, they returned to the Wada, when the other devoteed asked Shyamdas about this episode of ‘eleven rupees dakshina’ and what was its meaning. Shyamdas had not pondered over it. Everyday, thereafter, both of them went to Baba, but Baba did not ask for dakshina.

On the fourth day, it was in the evening, when Baba asked Jog, “So, how many rupees did you distribute today”, to which Jog replied, “Sixty-one rupees. Butti, received fifty rupees and Shyamdas eleven. Shyamdas was silent all this time when Baba said, “Did you get the eleven rupees?” Without understanding its significance, Shyamdas said yes. Then Baba said, “No, you didn’t. Let us see tomorrow. In the meantime, have a look at the pothi, okay?” They returned to the Wada and started discussing what Baba could have meant by asking for eleven rupees. Balasaheb Bhate was astute enough to connect the dakshina with the reading of Eknath Bhagwad. Suddenly, Shyamdas remembered how he had taken a decision not to read any Pothi unless directed by Baba to do so. Later, he went to the Masjid, and Baba told them a long story which is given below.

“We were two brothers on a long journey. While walking on a path, the brother went ahead. He was bitten by a serpent and died. I was walking steadily and way behind him. Just then, 5-6 people came and enquired of me, where the brother was. I told them that he died following a snake-bite and I had already buried him. They did not believe me. ‘We will go and search for him and bring him back’, they said. I cautioned them, saying, ‘There is a huge serpent there. It will bite you too. Why are you going there?’ But they did not head my words. They did go there and were killed by the serpent. I buried them also and continued my journey. Then, a strong lady came and asked me where the brother was. I told her that the huge serpent bit him and was buried by me. Then she enquired about the six men and I told her how they went looking for the brother and were killed by the serpent. She was anxious to go there and find the brother. I said, ‘Why are you going there needlessly. You will not find that brother’, to which she replied, ‘I will go there and diligently search for him, find him and bring him back.’ Thus, she went ahead, she too met the same fate. I buried her too. Then I continued my journey and went a long distance and met 5-6 Muslims who said, ‘Wait a while.’ I waited. The Muslims got a goat and killed it and cut it into pieces. These, they brought to me and said, ‘Eat’. I said, ‘No. I am a Brahmin and I cannot eat it.’ When one of them took a piece and thrust it towards my lips, trying to make me eat it, I said, ‘Just wait a while. I will pray to God, then eat it.’ I took a piece of cloth and held it to my mouth and thought of God. Lo! The pieces of meat turned into roses. Huge beautiful roses that you couldn’t find anywhere, even in Shirdi. Then those Muslims went away. I continued my journey. When I looked back, there was water, crystal clear, and a small pathway ahead. I walked a short distance, and there was water on either side, behind and in front of me, without any pathway. This is the doing of Allah Malik. Allah Malik is the savior of the poor.”

The next day, Baba was in a tearing rage right from early morning till noon . Some of his devotees received his wrath in the form of beatings and abuses. But his daily routine went on as usual. Shyamdas went to the Dwarkamai at 3:30 p.m. and did Charan Seva. Baba said, “You received the eleven rupees, didn’t you Shyam?” to which he replied, “If the eleven rupees is regarding the reading of the pothi, then yes. But which pothi am I supposed to read. Then, Baba gave a clue of the rinanubandhu of theirs, saying, “Read that pothi in which there is a dialogue between you me.” This sentence further confused him. Should he read Gita or Dnyaneshwari? Baba said, “Arre Shyamdas, go to Bapusaheb Jog and bring the pothi that he is reading.” He did so and Baba opened the book at random and the eleventh chapter of Eknath Bhagwad opened and pointing to it, Baba said, “Read this, everyday of your life. Read it just as it is written and understand it for yourself. Don’t explain or expound it to other people. Only you need to know and understand it. Allah Malik will do good.”

(Source Shri Sai Leela Magazine)

No comments: