Friday, July 28, 2006

Satsang Road to Sai Baba

Road to Sai Baba
By U. Sangamesan


"I took a piece of plastic clay
And idly fashioned it one day,
And as my fingers pressed it still,
It moved and yielded to my will.
I came again when days were passed;
The bit of clay was hard at last,
The form I gave it still it bore,
But I could change that form no more.
I took a piece of living clay
And touched it gently day by day.
And molded with my power and art
A young child's soft and yielding heart
I came again when years were gone;
It was a mind I looked upon;
That early impress still he wore,
And I could change that form no more."


It was October 1943.I was in my early twenties and was
passing through a turmoil in life. I had problems from all sides -
physical, domestic, official etc., I had lost my peace of mind. I
had resorted to traditional forms of worship and nothing
concrete had come out of it. At times I felt like running away
from life and even on a few occasions thoughts of committing
suicide had entered my mind. It was at this juncture, I was
drawn towards Sai Baba through Sri Narasimha Swamiji.
One evening I went to Mylapore and sat on the steps of the

tank adjoining Kapaleeswarar's temple. I sat quiet for a long
time and my mind was debating as to whether I should run
away from my family or ends my life. The time was already
8 '0' clock and as I got up. I saw a board 'All India Sai Samaj'
just opposite the tank.


I had heard of Sai Baba but did not know the existence of a
Samaj. I approached the building. It was Dr. Nanjunda Rao's
residence. I went upto the gate. I saw there a saintly person
with a half grey beard talking to another person. I saw the
picture of Sai Baba in a wooden enclosure. I stood there for
a while.

On seeing me the person who was talking to the saintly
person came out and introduced himself as 'K. Radhakrishna'
and asked me to come in. He pointed out to the saintly
personality as Sri Narasimha Swamiji, President of All India
Sai Samaj. I had heard his name as the one who spearheaded
Sai prachar and was immensely happy to meet him. I
prostrated before Sri Narasimha Swamiji. He blessed me with
the words: "May Sri Sai Baba protect you and your family".
The very blessings of Swamiji were a turning point in my life.
I narrated my tale of woes to him. Swamiji asked me to

worship Sai Baba with total surrender and promised me that
He would take care of everything. As foretold by Swamiji, I
came out of my problems shortly thereafter and peace of
mind dawned on me. I became a regular visitor to All India
Sai Swamiji and also a 'Sai Sevak' in Sai Prachar of Sri
Narasimha Swamiji.

Sri K. Radhakrishna who later on blossomed himself to a
great saint Sri Saipadananda Radhakrishna Swamiji
affectionately recalled the above incident whenever I met
him at Bangalore and once wrote on the flyleaf of my
copy of Sai Satcharitra as follows:
"Got any rivers you think are uncross able?
Got any mountains you can't tunnel through?
Sai Baba specializes in things thought impossible.''


Once we grasp this great truth, the exhilaration and
adventure that Sai Baba brings into our lives makes
anything else seem pale stuff. For everyone's problem,
I always quote : "Take heart - these are the very
adventures in which Sai Baba delights.


Saipadananda Magazine July 1995
Source:
http://www.saileelas.org/magazines/saipadananda/oct95.htm

No comments: