Thursday, June 07, 2007

Satsang Swamiji to my Rescue By R.N. Venkatadri

Satsang Swamiji to my Rescue By R.N. Venkatadri

Swamiji to my Rescue
By R.N. Venkatadri

We have all heard and experienced the omnipotence and omniscience of Baba
and Swamiji in our daily life. We have also seen how they guide, protect,
look after and take us on the right path. Baba said "I draw my bhaktas from
the jaws of death" How true. The all merciful Baba and Swamiji have all
along looked after their devotees and continue to do so. I am saying this
after one more such rescue act which took place recently. On September 14,
1992, I was resting in the afternoon when I felt a squeeze on my heart and
pain in the left forearm. I asked my son to apply some ointment and in a few
minutes I felt normal. I moved my right arm and there was no pain or
discomfort. I had heard that there would be pain in the left arm when blood
supply to heart muscle is less, and concluded that there was no heart
problem. But I did feel very weak.

On the 16th evening, I had to meet a friend and my son would not permit me
to drive my scooter and took me on his motor cycle. At the friend's place, I
had to climb up and down to meet my friend. We came back home and I was
feeling too exhausted and weak to even have my dinner and went to bed
without it. My son examined my legs and arms. They were cold and I was
sweating all over. He phoned the doctor, who advised that I should have
something hot to drink and would visit us in the morning to see me. My
daughter had been to Palani and returned with 'panchamratam.' I had a
liberal helping of the same and a cup of hot milk with extra sugar. In a
short while the sweating stopped and I slept well.

The next morning, the doctor came home, checked me and advised me to get on
EGG, Chest X-ray, and blood sugar (as I am diabetic) and a stress test and
advised me to go to Wockhardt Hospital.

I was given an appointment for the stress test at 3 and my son took me there
at 2 to get the other tests done. The EGG was taken and I tried to persuade
the technician to show me the ECG which she refused. I went to give blood
for the next test and at that time my son told the technician that we were
anxious to know the report as I was not well. So they took the ECG to the
Doctor, who examined me and advised a blood enzyme test and confirmed that I
had a heart attack in the previous 72 hours. He said that I should be
admitted to the intensive care unit immediately, which was done.

On the 23rd September the Cardiologist performed an Angiogram and confirmed
that I had two blocks in the blood vessels on the heart. One block was only
40% and the other was 90%. The Cardiologist advised that an angioplasty be
performed. In this process, a tube is introduced in the blood vessel and at
the block a balloon is inflated and the block is compressed against the wall
of the blood vessel and the blood flow is restored to normal.

Angioplasty was performed in the morning of 25th and it went off well. The
duration of this process is hardly 30 minutes. You can see the whole process
on a video screen. I was wheeled back to the intensive care unit and was
given seven or eight intravenous drips. As these drips were being arranged,
I felt uncomfortable and told the Cardiologist about it. I was immediately
brought to an inclined position with my head down and feet up. The next
instant I lost sight of the doctors and I knew I was dead. I was not scared,
I did not scream or utter God's name, but I knew I was dead.

Immediately after, I found myself in a brightly illuminated place where
there were no shadows in any direction and everything was bright. There used
to be a wooden chair in front of Swamiji's ashram and this chair, I saw and
recognizing it, was wondering how this came to be there and lo! The next
instant I saw our Swamiji seated in this very chair and looking at me. I was
so excited to see our beloved Swamiji that I forgot all propriety and did
not fold my hands in prostration. I was wondering why there was no smile of
welcome on Swamiji's face but he kept on coking at me as though I was an
intruder, I kept walking towards him and all along I was immensely happy
that I was again in the august presence of our Swamiji. I was hardly a few
steps from Swamiji. He gave his characteristic smile and even before I could
realise this, Swamiji vanished and so did the chair and the brightness. I
was conscious of the doctors and nurses calling me my name. The
Cardiologist, Dr. Khanolkar asked me if I was thirsty and suggested I have
some tea which I did. On the 28th of September, I was discharged and came
back home a normal person.
(Source Saipadananda Magazine April 1993)

No comments: